Angela Y Davis Biography and Wiki
Angela Yvonne Davis is a renowned American philosopher, Marxist, feminist political activist, academic, and author. Additionally, Davis is a professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
In 1969, she was hired as an assistant professor of philosophy at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). However, she was fired by UCLA’s governing Board of Regents due to her membership in the CPUSA. Court ruled the firing illegal but the university fired her for the use of inflammatory language. In 1997, Angela co-founded Critical Resistance, an organization working t abolish the prison-industrial complex. Later that year, she joined the feminist studies department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, where she became department director before retiring in 2008. Since then she has continued to write and remained active in movements such as Occupy and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign.
Angela Davis Age and Birthday
Davis was born on January 26, 1944, in Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America. Angela is 79 years old as of 2023.
Angela Davis Height
Davis stands at a height of 5 feet 7 inches (1.73 m) tall and she weighs about 70 kg.
Angela Davis Family/Parents
Davis was born in Birmingham, Alabama, United States to Frank Davis and Sallye Davis. Her siblings include a sister named Fania Jordan, and two brothers named Ben and Reginald.
Angela Davis Husband/Spouse and Partner
Davis was married to Hilton Brathwaite from 1980 to 1983 when they got divorced. In 1997, she came out as a lesbian and as of 2023, she is living openly with her partner Gina Dent, an associate professor of Feminist Studies at UC Santa Cruz.
Angela Davis Net Worth
As of May 2023, Angela has an estimated net worth of $1 million.
Angela Y Davis Books
Davis has written a number of books including;
- Herbert Marcuse, Philosopher of Utopia: A Graphic Biography (foreword, City Lights, 2019).
- Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement, Haymarket Books (2015).
- The Meaning of Freedom: And Other Difficult Dialogues (City Lights, 2012).
- Abolition Democracy: Beyond Prisons, Torture, and Empire, Seven Stories Press (2005).
- Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude “Ma” Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday, Vintage Books (1999).
- Women, Culture & Politics, Vintage (1990)
- Women, Race and Class, Random House (1981)
- If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance (1971)
- New Jersy Tenants’ Rights
Angela Davis’s Awards and Recognitions
Davis has received various awards including ;
- The Soviet Union’s Lenin Peace Prize
- She was also inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame.
- Angela also received an American Book Award
- In 2020, Angela was listed as the 1971 “Woman of the Year” in Time magazine’s “100 Women of the Year” edition, which selected iconic women over the 100 years since women’s suffrage in the United States of America from 1920.
- In 2020, Davis was also included on Time‘s list of the 100 most influential people in the world.
After graduating from high school, Angela studied at Brandeis University and later joined the University of Frankfurt in Germany. She then returned to the United States and attended the University of California, San Diego where she earned her Master of Arts degree. Angela then moved to East Germany and completed a doctorate (Ph.D.) at the University of Berlin.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Old is Angela Davis?
Angela is 79 years old as of 2023. She was born on January 26, 1944.
Where was Angela Davis Born?
Davis was born in Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America.
Who is Angela Davis’s Partner?
Angela is living openly with her partner Gina Dent, an associate professor of Feminist Studies at UC Santa Cruz.